From:
Sarah Brophy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:56:40 -0500
You've had fine advice...I'd just like to add a little perspective on the
English museum that might make you feel more comfortable contacting them.
'Tis always dangerous to make assumptions or generalizations, but here I go
anyway... If the museum you visited is a small county or city council
museum, or an independent one, they will have less access to funds and
professional support than our small museums do.  The government, in
downsizing/reorganizing its museums, galleries and archives division  at one
point did away with many of the museum-service office, sort of circuit-rider
trainers, that would be a free source of coaching for the museum you saw.
The new hub system for Renaissance in the Regions is slowly trying to
address that problem, but the trickle-down to the little guys is a rather
slow drip.

So that letter, with an attendant list of on-line resources, or professional
collegial contacts would be a real help to the museum, I'd guess.

Sarah S. Brophy, bMuse            www.bmuse.net
570 West Street
Carlisle, MA 01741
978-371-7821