From:
Lara Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:50:15 -0500
Thank you, thank you, John.  I can't tell you how much that made me smile.
I have stopped searching for a job in the museum field because my
encounters with the hiring process have been so demoralizing, particularly
in terms of museums responding to follow-up phone calls, resumes, etc.  But
it is so nice to know that there are people who are conscious of the
courtesy of replying to applicants.

                      John Martinson
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      OM>                        cc:
                      Sent by: Museum            Subject:  A reflection on employers and job seekers.
                      discussion list
                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      05/20/2002 04:21 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Museum discussion
                      list

------

 Show them
the professional couresty of letting them know that the job was  filled ---
it will pay off in the long run.  It is worth the 34-cent stamp!   For
those
who apply, I would also include them on the membership list for a short
while...and send them out a newsletter.  It is just good PR.

A rule of thumb I have in the hiring process:  I make sure that I send out
letter of appreciation to EVERY ONE who applied for a position.  And,
yes, I am happy to answer phone calls when applicants call, and ask about
the process.  Why would I black list them or round-file their resume simply
because they care enough about the position to call and want to know how
the process is coming along?  It let's me know they are interested.

John

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).