From:
Robb Hyde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:46:00 -0400
The Canton Museum of Art has had a Life Member category for many years. The category is currently at a $2,500 level, there is no age requirement and we place all monies from Life Memberships into the endowment rather than for general operating expense.

The Alliance Historical Society (I am on the Board of that organization) also has a Life Membership category. It is a $300 commitment, no age requirement, but the monies are put in the general fund.

In both cases, I think the Life Members are some of the most committed members of the group's constituency. While they are no longer required to pay an annual membership fee, it rarely means that they stop giving to the cause. Life membership seems to help bind people closer to the organization.

You did not share your concerns about creating this category, but I believe that it may make sense to institute it.

Robb Hyde
Marketing/Development Manager
Canton Museum of Art
Phone: 330-453-7666