From:
Jon Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:46:28 -0600
Dear Ms. Nash,

We are a fairly new museum whose mission is to collect, preserve, exhibit,
and interpret the history of American funeral and mourning customs from
1840 to the present.  Because our curator of collections and I come not
with experience in funeral service but instead with advanced degrees in
American history and museums, we continue to learn about the funeral
profession and the allied subjects associated with death and mourning.
 I've been collecting printed material and photographs of funeral floral
arrangements for the Museum's research collection, and my goal is to
recreate "set" pieces synonymous with Victorian funerals to be included as
part of a revision that we're completing in the exhibit area.  Staff at the
Florist's Review referred me to Ralph Null from MS State University, and he
told me of his work on the SI exhibit.

Mr. Null suggested that I contact Jim Buckler, who I understand is
deceased.  If possible, we'd like to locate some of the reproduction "set"
pieces for exhibit at the Museum, and we'd also like to locate examples of
the wire forms that were used to create the designs as we interpret this
aspect of funeral service.  Was the 1970s exhibit focused on funeral
arrangements?  Was there a catalog for the exhibit?  Can you refer us to
specific instructions for recreating the originals?

I recall seeing a Victorian gardens exhibit at the Strong Museum in
Rochester in the late 1980s, but I don't recall cut floral arrangement
being included.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.  I look forward
to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jon N. Austin, Director
Museum of Funeral Customs
1440 Monument Avenue
Springfield, IL   62702

(217) 544-3480
(217) 544-3484 (fax)
www.funeralmuseum.org

The Museum of Funeral Customs is operated by the Illinois Funeral Service
Foundation, which is a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit corporation, and the
Illinois Funeral Directors Association.