From:
"J. Cuasay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:34:29 -0400
Bridget:
I run special events (among other things) through the Development Office of my museum (which is within a state university)--so I think I can speak to both the Development aspects of your idea--and the bureacracy element as well.

Overall--I think the best pitch for your event--which may help your fundraising efforts, is to present this idea to your local vendors. This may include other non-incorporated entities--or maybe church or other community organizations.
The pitch would go something like this: Each organization could pay an entrance fee--which would give them a certain amount of space to set up their booths. Higher amounts would get better choice locations (closer distance to utilities or prime location in relation to your
institution). Additionally, higher contributions coul get better placement in recognition during promotion of event, etc.
Another way--would be to place the fundraising effort on the vendors themselves--a certain prize and type of recognition for the booth that raises the most money--proclaimed the county's best chili master or something. --But at the same time having your vendors agree in advance that
they would share a certain percentage of their profits.

As for the bureaucratic element--that's probably where the structure and pitch of your event will get defined. Here in a state institution--traditionally the only type of fundraisers we sponsor are one's that are for ourselves--yet at the same time, we can't make profits on say the
sale of alcohol--without first applying for a short term liquor license.

Usually, then our process has been to get vendors to "donate" their services for the event and then to tack on higher levels of recognition through a sponsorship program--which runs the whole gambit from straight out cash donations to the museum--to percentages of profits--to the
more complicated long term networking solutions (customer referrals tied to membership sign up or program support, for example).

Let me know how your project/program goes.--I've read in the past that some universities had banquets or buffets in which the food was donated by a caterer and university VIPS (deans, teachers, or other folk) doffed their degrees and put on wait staff garb in a race to see which VIP
could make the most in tips from the clientele they were serving at their fundraiser. I don't know how well that worked--but it did have a good positive community impression.