From:
Martin Segger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 15:35:45 -0700
BRENDA AND OTHERS:  IT SEEMS TO ME WE, OR B.C. SHOULD BE EXPLORING A
SIMILAR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRC.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS
RESPECT? MARTIN

>                                        VAAA FACT SHEET
>9705-04
>Please copy & distribute
>
>Cultural Advisory Sector Initiative - On December 6, 1996 Canada and Alberta
>announced a new agreement on labour market development.  The essence of the
>agreement is that the Province will design and deliver programs and services
>for the unemployed which were previously the responsibility of the federal
>government.
>
>Many people in culture and the arts see this change as an exciting
>opportunity to refine and enhance professional development and education for
>artists and cultural workers.
>
>On February 12, 1997 an information meeting was held at the Alberta Museums'
>Association office in Edmonton with some Alberta cultural organizations,
>Provincial Arts Service Organizations, and representatives from the Cultural
>Human Resources Council, Human Resources Development Canada, Alberta
>Advanced Education and Career Development, as well as Alberta Community
>Development.  The consensus was to explore the involvement of the cultural
>sector in this devolution.
>
>An April 12, 1997 meeting in Banff further consolidated the determination to
>see the arts and cultural workers in Alberta as full partners in the design,
>delivery and evaluation of an effective system which will include, but not
>be exclusive to, work experience, assisted job placement, funding for
>training, and assistance towards self-employment.
>
>Representatives from a broad section of Alberta's cultural, professional and
>service organizations, arts education institutions and unions met to discuss
>the need for broad collaboration on a range of human resource issues.  Areas
>of consensus were defined as well as common objectives in professional
>development and training.  The following were declared to be areas for
>collaboration and development:
>
>_Cultural Policy Development_ - The province's cultural organizations agree
>that they would all benefit if they collaboratively and with the input of
>other stakeholders (government, educational institutions, corporate sector,
>individual artists and representatives from the general public) were to
>participate in a cultural policy development process that would address the
>needs of cultural creators, producers and consumers for the 21st century.
>
>_Cultural Labour Force Develoopment_ - The diversity of the cultural sector
>is both a weakness and a strength.  The sector embraces the individual
>creator as well as the large, professionally-staffed arts organization; the
>dance enthusiast and the museum professional.  All are united by their
>common desire to enhance and enrich the quality of life of Albertans.
>Collaboration among the range of cultural organizations will reap benefits
>not only for the partners but also their audience, the employee, the arts
>and cultural industries, and the self employed.

> [...]

Martin Segger, Director Maltwood Art Museum and Gallery/University Auditorium
University of Victoria, PO.Box 3025, Victoria, B.C., Canada V8W 3P2
Tel: (250) 721-8298 or (250)721-8298  e-mail:[log in to unmask]
Visit the Maltwood and ICOM/ICTOP website: URL: http://www.maltwood.uivic.ca