From:
"Emily C. Milot" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:46:58 -0400
I agree with Dan.  Sometimes your indicators aren't visible until you've
identified what your outcomes are.  What would you like the collections
department to achieve?  Once you know that, you can back track and figure out
what your indicator would be for having achieved the outcome.

You might find it helpful to look outside the museum field for some suggestions.
 I know that the United Way has really transformed the ways that they measure
outcomes.  Their book, "Measuring Program Outcomes: a Practical Approach" has a
whole section on measuring hard-to-quantify outcomes.  You might have to change
the terminology that they use for your specific situation.  (For instance, in
collections, you're dealing with "artifacts" and not "clients.") But I think
that it's worth looking at if you're really stuck.

Emily Milot
Instructor
Museum Studies Department
Regis College