From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:32:10 -0600
Just for the record:  my original responses to the Board member's message
was not intended as support or criticism of Mr. Gagnon himself.  I was
simply addressing the vulgarity of someone essentially blacklisting a
former employee. A message like that sent out by a U.S. employer could gain
the former employee his or her salary for a long, long time (without having
to work for it).

When someone leaves our employ under less than happy circumstances we
should assume it was simply bad chemistry within our institution and wish
that employee well at the next stop where he or she might do just fine.
 Reference checks from the next potential employer should be neutral; yes,
the person worked here, yes, the salary was $xxxx.xx.  There is even danger
in giving a positive reference if the person was terminated or resigned in
lieu of termination.  That could come back to haunt you if the former
employee learned of the postive recommendation.  He/she could come back and
claim that there was, based on the recommendation, no cause for termination
and sue to get his/her job back.

This is, I am sure, not new information to many of you.  I am sharing it
with those who might not be aware of these dangers.  Pardon me if I am
presumptuous.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum