From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:54:50 -0500
Can't help you much with Canadian reality, although I did manage to raise
over $100K for our US museum in Canada, but that was in appearance fees. In
the US reality, however, I found it most appropriate to look at the
institution as a recipient of the "discretionary dollar."  No one needs to
go to a museum-unlike food, shelter, and clothing. In other words, I look to
Tiffany, or another high-end store, as my chief competitor. The aim then
becomes to give the "customer/patron" the type of service and emotional
satisfaction that they would receive at such store. I recommend studying the
marketing strategies and techniques of the type of store that your museum
would most closely approximate. Grants and school groups need to be treated
differently. Grants are a beastie of their own and school groups are no fun
'cause they are just like shooting fish in the barrel-treat the teacher
civilly, state the experience in terms of appropriate grade level curriculum
requirements, give the teacher pre-digested handouts and rake the money in
(provided that in that particular year the school district is not playing
games with fieldtrips). Note: beware of home schooling groups, I have found
that they like to get the adults in free by requesting an inordinate number
of chaperone passes. My favorite kids' groups have been incarcerated kids,
they really appreciate being outside of their normal environment, genuinely
appreciate being treated civilly, and soak-in any bit of new information,
because they are so intellectually starved.
nburlakoff