From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 22:33:24 -0700
" . . . most paranormal activities at museums and historic sites are not public programs."

Thank you for that clarification, Dave -- it makes all the difference, really. If a historic site wants to rent its facility to a paranormal group for private investigation, fine (I suppose -- it's still a little iffy I think, but . . . whatever). My issue was the implied endorsement of those groups' pseudo-scientific methods that a public partnership creates in a museum's audience -- and which, I think, can thus compromise the museum's academic integrity.

" . . . I do love the idea of exploring what we do not know. "

Yes -- and it's always curious to me that sceince is stereotypically derided as having "an answer for everything" -- i.e., the critique being that science only values what it knows, robs Nature of its mystery, and negates our feelings of transcendence. It's really quite the opposite -- science is more accurately described as expanding the realm of the unknown, than of the known, since every new scientific fact spawns hundreds of new questions we didn't even know to ask. In a real sense, we know "less" now ever before, because prior to science we just made up broad (usually supernatural) explanations for everything -- we knew it all.

" . . . quantum theory is still theory and not "proof" even though thousands of experiments have held up its principles."

It bears repeating what I'm sure you and everyone on this list (hopefully) already knows -- that in science the meaning of "theory" is not idle speculation or a cavalier guess, as it can be in its vernacular meaning. A scientific theory is not recognized as such until it is thoroughly supported by evidence and has not been disproven by experiment -- the semantic equivalent of a "proof." Quantum "theory," evolution "theory," are proven beyond a reasonable doubt but have the designation of "theory" because science knowledge is always provisional and must remain open to revision and falsification. There is no credible evidence to establish any paranormal or supernatural set of claims as the equivalent of a scientific theory, although many proponents of such claims will blur the different vernacular and scientific meanings of "theory" in their attempts to do so.

/stephen