From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:04:35 -0400
I assume that by halogen lamps in track lighting, you are referring to
low-voltage MR-16s?  If so, following are some of their advantages.

1) Low voltage means safer, as well as reduced heat.  Most of the heat of
the bulb is projected backwards, not toward the art object that you are
lighting.  They are safer for the art.

2) MR-16 housings are suspended from a track, and thus the heat they produce
is dissipated quickly, not contained where it can build up to dangerous
levels.

3) MR-16 bulbs emit very little UV light, and the bulbs can be UV-filtered
if desired for virtually complete UV control.  They are safer for the art.

4) MR-16 bulbs can have excellent color rendering properties (both CRI and
color temperature), producing more accurate viewing of the art.

5) MR-16 bulbs come in a variety of beam spread angles and wattages.  This
allows control of the lighting from various distances, as well as the
ability to reduce light levels to the appropriate preservation specification
for the art object.  Dimmers also can be used to further refine light
control.  They are safer for the art.

These are a few thoughts off the top of my head.  It seems to me that the
more you can emphasize the safety advantages to the priceless and
irreplaceable art, the stronger your case will be.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)