From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:05:19 -0400
Susannah,

Short answer: While I know of some museums that value the correct
degree over appropriate experience, I tend not to have respect for
them or their programs. This type of rigidity is usually expressed in
more ways than just applicant requirements. You wouldn't want to work
for them anyway.

Long answer: The answer to your question is that there is no answer,
or better there are thousands of answers, each one different for
every possible employer in the field. And if you factor in the fact
that even one employer may have different answers to that question
depending on what type of position they are filling you might have an
endless permutation of answers to your question. In the education
corner of our field I have known museums that would only hire
applicants with Masters in Museum Education. In fact I have known an
institution or two that only seemed to hire graduates of a specific
program. But then, I've known programs that specifically shy away
from this type of degree for some positions, prefer applicants with
less formal museum education training and look for applicants with
classroom teaching training or experience.

The job of the job searcher in this field is to honestly assess your
strengths and weaknesses, have at least a general idea of what you
want to do and where you want to be (geographically, small versus
large museum, type of museum, etc.) and then do the research to find
out which institutions will value who you are and give you a chance
to do what you want. Most times this means doing research and legwork
BEFORE the right job is advertised. Have informational meetings with
people who can help give you advice and contacts to find the right
position.

And also set realistic expectations. I tried to make the jump from
history museum to science museums a while back. Everyone said it
couldn't be done without serious retraining. It took awhile to find
the right position, but here I am the Director of a Science Center in
a History Museum.

Be careful of people or graduate school reps (who are also people,
poor phrasing, that) who tell you that you must have a degree or must
have experience. Normally what they mean is that is what THEY have
and it worked for them, or that they have some vested interest in the
matter.

As is the case with so much in this field, there is no one answer to
this question. Just strategies for maximizing your desired outcomes
in a given situation.

Matthew White
Director, Hands On Science Center
Smithsonian Institution