From:
Timothy Reed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 19:17:21 -0500
Mr. Handy-
        As both an Archaeologist and a Museologist, I read your response to this
gentleman with some disappointment.  Your reply to Mr. Saldivar was a little
bit condescending in tone, and might serve in the future to drive a wedge
between you and your institution's constituency.  I and many others on this
list appreciate the role of accurately recorded data from archaeological
sites and the significance of properly reposed (and exhibited, if possible)
artifacts.  I would assert that you could have explained the Brazoria County
Historical Museum's policy, in the framework of the general ethical issues
associated with collecting on public and private lands, without using a tone
that could obviously put the original writer on the defensive.  Excerpts from
your response that illustrate my point follow:

        -"We absolutely do not cooperate with what we in the profession call "pot
        hunters."  And in no way will we assist you in your endeavors.  The
        reason for this position is that you Pot Hunters are destroying the
        historical record every time you remove an artifact from the ground."

        -"I don't mean to be scolding because I am sure no one has ever revealed
        this problem to you before.  If you want to be a really good guy, bring
        you collection to the Museum where it can be recorded properly and
        preserved for posterity."

Perhaps the semantics of your message may explain why you're getting so much
mail lately from collectors?

Respectfully-
Timothy Reed
Office of the State Archaeologist of Iowa
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA