From:
Kathryn Papacosma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:51:27 -0500
The Central Park Conservancy is currently completing the restoration of the Bethesda Terrace Arcade, whose embellishment was designed by Jacob Wrey Mould from 1869-71. The project includes the preservation and/or restoration of the Minton Tile ceiling, held in place by ornamental cast iron ribs. (Images 1 + 2) We are trying to determine the most appropriate finish treatment for the cast iron ribs and hanger blocks. There is little historical evidence of the original treatment, apart from descriptive references that suggest it was "richly gilded," (which we interpret as a description of the effect and not necessarily the technique).  An article by David Van Zanten, "Jacob Wrey Mould: Echoes of Owen Jones and the High Victorian Styles in New York, 1853-1865" (JSAH March, 1969), has thus far been the most helpful.

Because Mould also designed the Central Park Music Stand, we are focusing on that structure's finish treatment as well, and are awaiting a color scan of the working drawing.  The description of the Music Stand  in a guide book by Perkins is of particular interest. He describes  "the blazing gilt outcry filling in each leaf," and we wonder what that fully means.  We have already spoken with an architectural historian who was involved in the U.S. Capitol restoration, which was  helpful.

The tiles are deep green, red, brown, and blue on a  cream background. The iron ribs are ornate, with oak leaves as the features most in relief, along with beading, a criss-cross border, and small arabesques.

Does anyone you have any thoughts, or know anyone whom we might contact, concerning likely techniques and materials? Would gold paint have been used instead of gilding? We are hoping to do an analysis of what's left of the Arcade's original materials. Unfortunately, most of the ribs were sandblasted during a restoration in the 1980s, and we only a few shards left.

Thank you,

Kate