From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:01:19 -0800
I would offer a couple of ideas in relation to this.

First, if you have staff conservators involve them in any discussions
concerning HVAC systems and their installation and operation -
preferably in the planning stage in concert with the engineers. This
is the sort of techy thing that conservators love and we have an
extensive network of colleagues around the country whose experiences
we can draw on. We always assume that if something will go wrong it
will, and try to incorporate that into building design. Even in
replacing an old unit in situ having a knowledable staff conservator
or consultant can aid immensely in anticipating any problems - from
recomending set point and seasonal ramping of RH to recomending
containmet and drain system to handle potential leaks. If your
conservators are not working with your engineers and maintenance staff
them get them involved. We, along with curators and collections staff,
are almost always knee deep when disasters strike, so preventing them
is something that is always close to our hearts.

Second, look at your contracting process. Try to build in performance
standards into your contracts. Any claims made by a company
representative should be backed up in writing - ALWAYS get  list of
references and ask for a breakdown of repair issues on their units. If
offered an extended warranty, take it.

Third, it is always easier to fund the hardware but not the extra
operating cost (power, etc.) or maintenance. These should be
researched and discussed with your administrator during the planning
process before things are purchased and installed. We actually did
this and found endowment funds to cover it for the creation of an
educational campus at Colonial Williamsburg that incorporated a
central plant for library, collections and conservation, and research
and audio visual buildings. Now, that was a huge scale project but
there is no reason that museums, archives, and historic sites
shouldn't incorporate extra operating and maintenance costs into the
development and planning process.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey