From:
Eric Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:53:38 -0500
We still have open slots in both classes that start next week.

Upcoming Online Museum Classes:
Look for our complete 2007 Online Museum Classes Schedule soon. We've
added courses on security, collections management, care of specific materials
and archaeology. The first three months of 2007 are posted on our web site,
http://www.museumclasses.org

New Short Courses
New to http://www.museumclasses.org this year are short courses - one week
on one topic. For those of you on a budget, the short courses give you a
taste of our full classes. Participants receive course readings at the beginning
of the month. This provides a week to bone up before an "Ask the Experts"
chat at 11 a.m. Eastern Time (New York) the second Wednesday of each
month. Be prepared to participate  your questions and comments make this a
rich experience. No more than 20 participants can join, so sign up early to
reserve a place.

The first three Short Courses of 2007 are:

January:
MS 001 The Problem with Plastics
As we march boldly toward the 22nd century, artifact collecting includes that
most fragile of materials - plastic. Not only is it in our collections, but it's used
to house our collections, too. What problems have you seen? What problems
have others seen? What materials are best? What can we, as caretakers, do
to minimize long-term damage? Join Helen for our first mini-course of the
season. Bring any questions you have about plastics in your museum.

February:
MS 008: Buy-In: Getting All of the Staff to Support Preservation
All too often, preservation is left to one or two staff members and others
believe it doesn't apply to them. Everyone must buy into the notion of
preservation. But how? Readings will introduce some ideas and participants in
this course will brainstorm with Helen Alten and others about what works,
what might work - and what doesn't.

March:
MS 002: Collection Protection  Are you Prepared?
Disaster planning is overwhelming. Where do you start? Talk to Terri Schindel
about how to get going. Use her checklist to determine your level of
preparedness. What do you already have in place? Are you somewhat
prepared? What can you do next? Participants in Collection Protection will read
literature and complete a checklist before joining a one-hour chat to discuss
disaster preparedness at their institutions.

Short courses take about 10 hours of a student's time.  Their cost is $75.

Please sign up at http://www.museumclasses.org and pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble with either,
please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

MS 104 An Introduction to Collections Preservation
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: (Available twice in 2007)
January 8 through February 2, 2007
July 1 through 31, 2007
Cost: $425
Location: http://www.museumclasses.org

Every museum professional needs a solid foundation in preservation principles
and techniques. An Introduction to Collections Preservation provides an
overview of current preservation issues from environmental monitoring to
collection cleaning, exhibit mounts and storage furniture. Participants learn
about every aspect of the modern museum and how the building, staff and
fixtures affect preservation. Subjects include the agents of deterioration, risk
management, object handling and transport, object labeling, exhibit lighting,
security, emergency preparedness, materials for storage and display, storage
and exhibit philosophies, and condition assessments.

Course Outline:
1.      Preservation Principles
2.      Agents of Deterioration
3.      Monitoring
4.      Collection Handling
5.      Collection Labeling
6.      Collection Cleaning
7.      Storage Principles
8.      Exhibit Principles
9.      Emergency Preparation
10.     Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in An Introduction to Collections Preservation work at their own
pace through 10 sections and interact through online forums and chats.
Instructor Helen Alten will be available at scheduled times for email support.
Materials include online readings and lecture notes, slide shows, quizzes and
links to relevant web sites. The course is limited to 20 participants.

An Introduction to Collections Preservation runs for four weeks. Please sign up
at www.museumclasses.org and pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with either,
please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask]

Student Comments:
An online course like this is very convenient for people who cannot attend
classes in another city.  - August 2005 student in MS 104

I didn't really know what to expect because I had never taken an online class
before, nor had a taken any sort of collections/preservation class. I definitely
learned a lot; I now understand the overall goals and practices of collections
preservation. - August 2005 student in MS 104

I particularly liked seeing images in the PowerPoint slides. They really can add
to the understanding of a topic. - February 2005 student in MS 104

I really enjoyed the excellent course reading material.  It has really helped me
understand so much more about the work I do. - February 2005 student in MS
104

I've been working as a collection manager for 10 years.   I have no formal
training in museum techniques .I thought this class would solidify everything
I've learned.   I didn't think I would learn anything new, but I did. Great
course.   I would recommend it to anyone starting out in the museum field. -
February 2005 student in MS 104

My experience with the MS104 online course has been exceptional, a 10! .
Thank you! Thank you for such a high quality and demanding workshop! -
February 2005 student in MS 104

I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD THANK YOU! EUREKA! I REALLY GAINED ALOT AND
REALLY ENJOYED STUDYING WITH YOU. - July 2004 student in MS 104

It may have been an on-line course, but I feel like I've got a textbook.  And
one written by many different sources, two heads being better than one. -July
2004 student in MS 104

The Instructor:
Helen Alten is an objects conservator and owner of Northern States
Conservation Center, St. Paul, Minnesota. She has been an educator,
conservator and trainer since 1986. Ms. Alten received her master's degree in
archaeological conservation and materials science at the Institute of
Archaeology, University of London in 1986. She began working with small,
rural, and tribal museums as conservator for Montana and Alaska.