From:
Barry Szczesny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 15:51:50 -0500
Old law is bad law, but to the best of our knowledge, Sec. 170 of the
Internal Revenue Code (the part on charitable contributions) had not
changed fundamentally since the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of
1993 made fair market deductions for gifts of appreciated property
permanent.  Thus, we were confident our sources that said deductions for
donated rental space are not allowed still were on the mark.

Nevertheless, Gregg Jackson's sage advice set off the computer chip
installed in my brain during law school (a 1st year requirement)
directing me to double-check our post.  I used the U.S. Code
Searchable at the U.S. House of Representatives Internet Law Library
<http://law.house.gov/usc.htm> which is current through January
1996.  In addition, I cross-referenced the following code section with U.S.
Code classification table located at the same site to ensure that the
provision had not changed in the final year of the 104th Congress.  In
other words, we are sure this is current.

Title 26, Subtitle A, Chapter 1, Subchapter B, Part VI, Section
170(f)(3)(A) of the United States Code reads:

"In the case of a contribution (not made by a transfer in trust) of an
interest in property which consists of less than the taxpayer's entire
interest in such property, a deduction shall be allowed under this
section only to the extent that the value of the interest contributed
would be allowable as a deduction under this section if such interest had
been transferred in trust.  For purposes of this subparagraph, a
contribution by a taxpayer of the right to use property shall be treated
as a contribution of less than the taxpayer's entire interest in such
property."

There are three exceptions: a contribution of a remainder interest in a
personal residence or farm; a contribution of an individual portion of
the taxpayer's entire interest in property; and a qualified conservation
contribution.

This section is the source for the two examples we cited in our previous
post.  Those references said specifically that donated space is "not" tax
deductible.

However, such deductions might be allowed under state law.  Since a
number of people thought these deductions were allowed, perhaps this
is the reason for the confusion.  If allowed in some states, please pass
this info. along to us.  This question is likely to resurface.

Finally, although expensive, consulting a tax lawyer is always the safest
bet especially when a donor's goodwill is at stake.  But to the extent we
can, we are here to help.

Sorry for the delay.

AAM Government Affairs

the usual disclaimers . . .