Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:16:42 -0500
Experience.  The purpose of an internship is to gain experience.
Unfortunately, when one is a graduate student having a stipend or some pay
to cover travel and living expenses can be very important.  I we do have
to eat!  I am a first year graduate student in Museum Studies.  Part of
our degree requirement is the completion of an internship.  My main
concern with interning is working somewhere that I will not have new
experiences.  I already have four years museum experience in collections
and have been working for one semester as an assistant to the collections
manager at a University Museum.  My past job and current job have been
fantastic because my supervisors were and still are wonderful about
sharing their experiences and teaching me as much as they can.  I have
been challenged!  I have heard from numerous friends and fellow students
that their internship experiences were not challenging.  For me, the
learning experience is the most important part.  I am not interning to
make coffee for someone or only do the busy work.  I want to be challenged
and learn as mush as I can.  I believe that an intern who is given
challenges will also be a better worker because they will not be bored.
Of course, not part of the internship will be challenging or exciting but
it should not all be busy work.