From:
GyllenFish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:36:27 GMT
<<I have a question regarding exhibits.  Has anyone had any experience
with the placement of gift shop merchandise cases (platforms and vitrines)
within or adjacent to exhibits?  What is the general opinion of this
practice?  TIA.>>

To balance out the negative responses, I'll give a positive reason for
 including certain types of merchandise in or at the conclusion of an exhibit.
 This comes partly from my interests as a parent of young children, and partly
 from my interest in the "constructivist" approach to education.

I think that lots of the learning that happens from an exhibit takes place
 after leaving the exhibit, as families continue to discuss what they've
 experienced and as individuals reflect on their experiences.  Having some
 tangible evidence from the visit -- even a toy plastic dinosaur or turtle --
 can provide a focal point for these discussions and reflections.  If I keep
 talking, I'll wind up telling you too many stories about my kids.  But, just
 let me say, it's been 3 months since we purchased a plastic Maiasaurus mommy
 and her nest at a giftshop at the exit from Dinosaur Families.  Just
 yesterday, my two and a half year old son pulled some leaves off the Pothos,
 broke them up in little pieces, and fed them to the baby dinosaurs.  I think
 he finally got it!

Eric Gyllenhaal