From:
"Paisley S. Cato" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 1994 08:29:00 EDT
According to Bruce Halliday:
>From [log in to unmask] Mon May  2 23:13:15 1994
Date:         Tue, 3 May 1994 13:11:43 EST
Sender: Biological Systematics Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From: Bruce Halliday <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      microscope slides
To: Multiple recipients of list TAXACOM <[log in to unmask]>

I am interested in hearing of people's experiences with specimens
mounted on microscope slides. I refer mainly to mites, but insects
or insect parts are also relevant. Specifically, what are the advantages
and disadvantages of different mounting media, such as Euparal,
Canada Balsam, gum/chloral media such as Hoyer's, Berlese's etc., and others?
How good is the optical quality of these media for your specimens?
How easy or difficult is to prepare and mount specimens?
How easy or difficult is it to remove a specimen from a slide for re-mounting?
How successful are these media for long-term preservation of important
specimens such as types and vouchers?
Are old specimens on slides in your collections still in good condition?
If specimens have deteriorated, what is the nature of the problem?

If responses are sufficient and useful, I will compile a summary and post it.

Thank you for your interest.

Bruce Halliday. 3 May 1994.

Dr. R. B. Halliday
Principal Research Scientist (Acarology)    International Fax 61-6-2464000
CSIRO Division of Entomology                Local Fax (06) 2464000
GPO Box 1700                                Telephone 2464085
Canberra ACT 2601                           Internet [log in to unmask]
Australia

--
Paisley S. Cato, Ph.D.                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Curator of Collections                          phone:  703-666-8634