From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:27:04 -0700
Nikol,

Use the softest natrual bristle brushes you can find (I use a Lord
Sherarton) and gently brush the dust into the nearby nozzle of a
vacuuam hose, its best if you have an adjustable vaccuam. Cover the
end of the nozzle with nylon mesh just in case some paint flakes off -
you can save the flakes and get a conservator to reattach them later.
If you experience alot of flaking STOP and set those fraglie works
aside for a conservator to tend to.

DO NOT wipe (dust can be very abrasive), and do not use water or
solvents on painted surfaces. Any deeper cleaning than just dusting as
I've described should be done by a knowledgable conservator.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator