From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 03:08:56 -0800
Well, I was remiss.  I got Amy's info, but not her
last name.  If your sign is a good match for this
delightful Pisces, please feel free to step forward
and lend a hand.  I'm sure she'll even tell you her
last name, LOL.  Maybe she'll even tell me.  But,
then, she's under no obligation.  Who would want to
tell somebody called Indigo?

TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT
Someone who can guide me in my decision-making
processes whether to stay within the museum profession
or to branch out into the for-profit foundation world.

AND/OR

Someone in cultural US hubs located in the East,
Southeast, South, or South Central who can give me
guidance as to how to make such a move

AND/OR

Someone with a background in museums marketing

CONTACT AMY BY EMAIL AT:

MEET AMY - The Pisces

Hi, my name is Amy. I’m a Pisces and like long
walks....opps, wrong profile.

I graduated in 2000 from Indiana University (IU) with
an MPA, Masters of Public Administration.  I also have
a BA (1994) from IU in art history.  I sought out an
MPA because of the versatility of the degree and
because my strengths are in
administration/decision-making/problem solving as
opposed to the academic acumen required to excel as a
curator.  I should also mention--with extreme
prejudice--IU's Graduate School of Public and
Environmental Affairs (SPEA) was among the top 3 in
the nation in 1999.

Presently, I am employed in South Bend, Indiana, North
Central, Indiana – a few miles south of the
Indinana/Michigan Border.  The illustrious University
of Notre Dame is just 2 miles north of my present
location at the South Bend Regional Museum of Art.  I
have been employed as the museum’s marketing manager
for almost two years now.

Prior to my arrival, there was no marketing dept.  I
am a one-person department responsible for all aspects
of marketing, public relations, and event
coordination.  My relationship with the museum extends
to 1996, when I was employed as a gallery monitor for
about a year and have consistently worked as a
volunteer until I was hired on in a management
capacity just after graduation.

The staff here is small, about 12 full-timers, and the
museum’s focus is on regional art and service to the
local community.

My experience over the past two years has been
fabulous, and I have many success stories to tell.  My
employer tells me my greatest strengths are (1) my
professional acumen/poise is well beyond what one
would expect based on my years of experience, (2) I
have the ability to accomplish projects with extreme
quality, and (3) my rav.en.ous nature to learn new
things.

I am quite comfortable working with senior executives,
board members and community leaders.  However, I do
feel like I am presently at a career crossroads.

As I have tried to imply, I adore my job.  The
problems?  I would love to move to a more culturally
vibrant community.   I would prefer to be back East,
in the Southeast, South, or South Central.  I would
consider Chicago since it is but a hop-skip-leap away
from South Bend, Indiana, and I have some great
friends there.

I am also having a difficult time coming to terms with
museum salaries.  I am considering switching fields in
order to establish some long-term financial stability.
Switching fields would mean an overhaul in my career
goals.

Since 1994 I have aspired to continue to advance in
the museum profession, with an eye on an
assistant/deputy directorship, culminating in a
executive director position. Now, I am not so sure.

If I do transition, I would like it to be somehow
related to the arts, grantmaking or nonprofit
administration – ideally from the for-profit side.
Perhaps working for a company that provides services
to non-profits, like consulting.  Also, I am
interested in investigating corporate foundation work.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414