From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:03:07 -0500
I am a board member of ALHFAM, and I would like to second Deb Arenz'
recommendation that MUSEUM-L members who are interested in living
history find out more about what ALHFAM has to offer.  ALHFAM was
founded in 1970 specifically to help those who are staff members of
living history sites, from the very largest places like Colonial
Williamsburg and Old Sturbridge Village, to the smallest community
historical farms and homesteads.  Our membership comes from all over
North America, and our national meeting usually includes at least one
invited international guest; last year's guest was from Beamish, The
North of England Open Air Museum.  Our website has basic information
about what living history is, along with a links to living history
museums.

The 2005 Annual Meeting will take place June 12-16 at Living History
Farms in Urbandale, Iowa; you can see more information at
http://www.lhf.org/alhfam/registration.html.  There are regional
conferences as well; this weekend the Midwest Open Air Museums
Coordinating Council is having their spring meeting in Wooster, Ohio
(http://www.momcc.org/Conferences.htm), the Mountain/Plains Region
will have their conference in Abilene, Texas, April 8-10 at  McMurry
University (contact Bob Wettemann, Director, Public History Programs
at [log in to unmask] for more information), and the Ontario region
will have their meeting on Saturday, April 30 (contact Del Taylor,
[log in to unmask]).  All of the meetings include formal sessions
as well as hands-on workshops and field trips/site visits of some
kind.

Please don't hesitate to contact me off-list for more information.

Martha Katz-Hyman
ALHFAM Board Member