From:
Therese Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:16:28 -0600
Wow. This response kind of shocked me and reminded me of all the horrible jobs
I've ever had, and why I left them rather than put up with insulting attitudes
from managers.

It is always within an employee's, indeed, within any citizen's purview to
expect and actively seek change, if situations of employment are unfair or
disliked. Sure, change-seekers risk their jobs sometimes. And even when workers
aren't just fired, autocratic responses to employee feelings about conditions of
employment are sure to cause high turnover rates. In the long run, is this best
for an institution? Most places invest a lot in their workers, and would
probably do better to listen and amend or flex a bit, than simply tell them to
"find the door."

--
Therese Quinn, Assistant Professor
Director of BFA with Emphasis in Art Education Program