From:
Kristin Mravinec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:06:06 -0500
At our museum, we have two organizations that operate under our
non-profit status, one is a Genealogy Library and the other is a
Military Museum. Each has their own governing boards and operate there
organization through the help of volunteers. A member from each
organization sits on our Board of Trustee. Each organization manages
their own funds. They pay for their supplies for office, collections
care, and exhibits. We pay for utilities, insurance (including their
collections), legal, accounting, etc. We share membership with the
Library but not the Military Museum.

We have received an assessment grant and preparing to apply for a grant
to catalogue the collection; therefore, we are looking at our
relationships with each organization to decide the issue of ownership.
Both organizations would be added to our curatorial budget to cover
their collections and exhibit expenses. We feel we technically own the
collection because they operate under our non-profit status and we are
liable for everything that goes on. We will be consulting an attorney
but wanted some information on how other museums have handled this
issue. Do you have operating guidelines? Who owns the collections? Does
the museum with the non-profit status or the umbrella organization? What
is your policy concerning library collections? Also, is there a specific
policy concerning how collections are brought in to ensure that items
are not infested or moldy? If it helps, we are having the most problems
with the Military Museum. The Library is in agreement and happy to work
with us.

I have searched the archives but could not find anything. Could you
please direct me on finding some more information on this? Feel free to
reply off list.

Thank you in advance!