From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 19:26:00 PST
At 11:39 AM 12/2/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Would anyone like to share their anecdotes regarding the evolution that
>most historical museums seem to go through. That is the evolution from
>completely volunteer run, usually a historical society, to professional
>staff.  What becomes of the historical society in relation to the museum,
>as staff takes over the operation of the museum, but still requires
>significant contribution from volunteers. Does the Historical society
>become a "Friends of" organization, or is another volunteer body created,
>or does the H.S. continue?  I know that every case is different and each
>has achieved the arrangment best suited to its purpose, but I'm
>interested in the anecdotes, stories, problems etc.. that have arisen
>through such situations.
>
>Thank You.
>
>--
>Daniel Robert

Our Society started out and still is volunteers, but when they
created the musuem, although it is the child of the society,
the museum mainly operates the business and has all the volunteers.
Although, membership is through the society, they get free
access to the museum.

I would recommend merging the two (soceity/museum) under one
as does the Oregon Historical Society (OHS).  They have a museum,
library, etc., but called OHS. And if you are small, you
are not going to have volunteers in both, not to mention the
problems that come up in bookkeeping, tax time and having two operations and
accounts.  Also, as your society grows, you will
have to change bylaws, etc., so it is better to keep them as close together
as possible.

I would also agree with "Friends of _______"  instead of
volunteers.

IMHO, merge, merge as one -- call it one name, i.e.,  "Good City Society &
Museum" or "Good City Historical Association", etc.

john

John Martinson
College Place/Walla Walla, WA