From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:12:03 -0700
I think we are on the verge of having this thread disintegrate into
philosophical (political) views instead of addressing the nuts and
bolts of privatizing work that is now being done by government
employees.

One of the arguments for privatization that I brought up last week has
to do with the near impossibility to fire inadequate civil service
employees. If a department can't fire and must keep them, it stands to
reason it will have to hire more employees to get the required amount
of work done.

But, another argument, and perhaps even more useful than above, is to
invite, on a competitive basis, bids to accomplish a certain activity
or task.  Here is where the competitive atmosphere works best, and has
demonstrated over and over again to work.  It is not replacing people
one to one, but replacing a group doing things the same old way by a
group that had to think up a better way to do it in order to get the
contract.  Competition is the right word and it works, assuming you
don't let a moron or crook write the requirements and supervise the
contractor.

A very good example of successful privatization can be seen at a near
by Marine base.  The mess halls are staffed and run by contracts with
companies that are expert in food preparation.  Not only does it
reflect the latest and most efficient methods but it frees hundreds of
Marines from KP duty of peeling potatoes and swabbing floors so that
they can do what they know best.  And best of all, the food is miles
ahead of what we ate 50 years ago.

I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into the political debates of
big government vs  small government.  Lets leave that to Capital Hill.
As  for me, I like a saying by China's Deng Xiao Ping:  "It is not
whether the cat is black or white, but whether it catches the mouse."

John Bing