From:
Doug Hoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:53:49 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Henry Grunder
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>"Dilbert" fans - and others - will wish to read the article
>"Management Fad Mad" by Jonathon Walters in _Governing_ Sept.
>1996, at p. 48. This is not necessarily the best, certainly not
>the only, piece to debunk the "management" buzzword twaddle.

I'm a Dilbert fan, Henry, but I take it as satire, not the truth.
What happened--were you bitten by a manager as a child? Trashing
an entire applied social science in a forum like this is a little
brave, don't you think?
In my work, I deal with all levels in the museum organisation,
from security guards to Directors. Nobody has exclusive title to
buzzword twaddle, nor to the truth. I see people at all levels
trying hard to do the best for their museums, in the face of
serious obstacles, some external, some self-induced. One thing
I always do see the need for is communication and mutual respect.
Without that, no management approach is going to work. Your post
damns an entire sector of museum staff and doesn't encourage either
of these virtues.
Or did you just mean it to apply to Dilbert's boss <G>

Doug
Doug Hoy              Evaluation           National Museum of
[log in to unmask]           &              Science & Technology
(613)998-6863v         Research       P.O.Box 9724, Station T
(613)990-3654f                          Ottawa K1G 5A3 CANADA
**Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by the NMSTC**