From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:12:57 -0600
Heather,

I am on the collection committee of an institution which is a very similar situation. Facilities are county owned, but collections are owned by a private corporation. All objects are currently stored in or on said county property, and most are in need of improved storage/housing.

The general feeling is that one is greatly diminished without the other, and that they should remain as coherent as possible. Since the majority of the funding for the institution also comes from the county, the plan is to have the county build a large collections storage facility on-site or nearby. It will also likely house the collections of other institutions in whose pies the county has its fingers(so to speak).

In this case, documents are not the majority of the volume, as the county has existing records retention facilities. Artifacts are the bulk of the collections.

Unfortunately, the plan has not yet been fully resolved, so I cannot offer that information yet. You are not alone in your quandary.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850