From:
Frannie Blondheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:42:18 -0700
Hello all,

I am doing an informal survey regarding policies on gifts received by
University presidents.  I have been asked to draft an arms-length policy
regarding the disposition/placement of gifts received by our University's
President, either during his travels abroad, or presented by visiting dignitaries.
Many of the gifts received have obvious homes and there are acquisition
committees and policies in place to process them (eg. works of art to art
collection/committee; books to library/library committee, textiles to Clothing
and Textiles Collection).  There are many gifts however that are not appropriate
to any existing collection (eg. wristwatches, neckties, ornamental objects).
I'm wondering what other universities do with these gifts? (We have a backlog
of 500 items -- too many for a bookshelf display!)

a. does your University President keep any of the gifts personally, and if so,
 what criteria are used to decide? for example some gifts are clearly presented
 to the President and/or spouse.
b. does your University sell, auction, donate, etc. the items for some other
 cause? eg. to raise funds for a student scholarship
c. which office in your University system develops and implements the policy?
d. if anyone has such a policy could they send a draft via e-mail or snail mail
 to me?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frannie Blondheim