From:
Angela Linn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:47:48 -0900
Our institution is in the middle of a large expansion/renovation
project and the anthropology departments (Ethnology & History, and
Archaeology) are preparing to purchase new compact mobile storage
units. Currently, our collection is housed in an electric Spacesaver
system (installed ca. 1980 and was at the time, the largest such unit
in a museum). However, the University of Alaska has a "low-bid" award
system and we're being asked by Procurement to re-do our specs for the
bid and to set up a collection of evaluation criteria that will be used
to award points to the bidders.

I would like to hear from some people out there who manage anthropology
collections who have experience with compact mobile storage units.
Please be TOTALLY honest in your evaluation as this information will
help us make a very expensive decision. The vendors will each tell us
they're the best and there are no problems, but only the people who use
the units every day know what issues might come up.

Our storage requirements include the mobile storage carriages (manual
system), open shelving, drawer units and steel cabinets (of both
"standard" and "custom" sizes).

Right now we're looking at comparing Spacesaver and Montel.

I look forward to your input.
Angela

Angela J. Linn
Collections Manager, Ethnology & History
University of Alaska Museum of the North
907 Yukon Drive
P.O. Box 756960
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6960
TEL: (907) 474-1828