From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 01:10:58 -0400
Just wanted to let everyone know that the American Anthropological
Association has an action alert out on this which can be found at
www.aaanet.org. Also, I don't know how many people read the article in the
NY Times about this, but Small wants "to cut research at the Smithsonian to
a single digit number of disciplines."  This could be disastrous.  It is a
bad idea to have our NATIONAL museum not be reasonably encyclopedic.

Kathy Mancuso

On Wed, 2 May 2001 08:17:55 -0700, Lisa Deitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am posting this for someone who is not a member of this list. Please
direct questions to [log in to unmask]
> [...]
>Archaeology (SAA), a
>Section 501 (c) (3) organization that was founded in 1934 and is
>incorporated in the District of
>Columbia.  With more than 6600 members, SAA is the leading professional
>organization of
>archaeologists in the United States.  Among the Society’s primary
>objectives is advocacy of the
>protection of archaeological resources and promotion of research on the
>archaeology of the
>Americas.
>
>  I am writing to ask that the Smithsonian Institution Board of Regents
>not terminate the
>Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education (SCMRE).  For
>nearly 40 years the
>SCMRE has been a leader in preserving cultural heritage and in advancing
>research into world
>prehistory.  It has trained hundreds of researchers in the U.S. and some
>40 other countries.  The
>SCMRE has been instrumental in establishing standards for museum archive
>and storage climate
>controls, object transport, and photographic preservation, as well as
>DNA analysis, preservation
>of blood residue, trace element studies and conservation of cultural
>icons.  It has presented over
>500 training courses for conservators, and has sponsored a series of
>pre-and post-doctoral
>fellowships in Archaeology and Materials Analysis for 15 years.  The
>Center pioneered research
>into trace element analysis, and has conducted research projects for
>nearly 30 years into
>prehistoric exchange and trade in the Americas, Africa and Asia.  There
>is no other comparable
>center in the U.S.  Indeed, research projects all over the world will
>suffer if the SCMRE is
>dismantled.
>
>  In 1829 the English scientist James Smithson left his fortune to the
>people of the United
>States to found an institution for the "increase and diffusion of
>knowledge."   The “diffusion” of
>knowledge speaks to the Smithsonian’s educational mandate, and the
>“increase” in knowledge
>speaks to its research mandate.  Smithson wisely saw that research
>without education is
>worthless, and that education without research is stifling.  The SCMRE
>is an essential part of the
>Smithsonian’s research mandate. The Society for American Archaeology
>urges in the strongest
>terms possible that the Smithsonian Board of Regents retain the Center
>for Materials Research
>and Education.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Robert L. Kelly, Ph.D.
>President, Society for American Archaeology
>
>If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact
>me at SAA.
>Donald Forsyth Craib
>Manager, Government Affairs, and Counsel

Subscriber Information:

>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).