From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:18:03 -0500
Well, speaking as one who was taken to the National Gallery in DC at least
once a year as a class field trip (I grew up there), I can definitely state
that those museums are firmly implanted in the minds of the hordes of
visitors as "must see" attractions.  The National Gallery attracts because
it is free and super-wonderful all around, The Metropolitan in NYC because
it is, of course, the Met, and the Art Institute because of specific
artworks that are very popular (I'm thinking of Seurat's "La Grande Jatte"
painting in particular) and worth the big admission price.  I must admit,
though, that whenever I am at the Art Institute it is fairly un-crowded in
comparison to the National Gallery.  The Cleveland Art Museum is wonderful
because of its stunning Asian collection, but that wasn't at all crowded
when I was there either.

But when you think of cities that aren't necessarily top-tier for tourism
generally, such as Detroit, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, etc. that
nevertheless have great art museums, the situation is murkier.  They aren't
known for a concentration of stunning artworks or for general
comprehensiveness, and when you think about why people go to those cities,
going to museums isn't top on the list (especially if they do a brisk
convention business, there just isn't time to go to a museum).  So they have
to work hard to make themselves relevant to residents, and the population
there isn't easy to convince.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator and
Project Manager, Art Program, New Indianapolis Airport
Blackburn Architects
3388 Founders Rd
Indianapolis, IN  46268
317.875.5500 x230