From:
Gronborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:01:29 -0500
A book by Dierking and Falk, I think entitled Museum Learning (??) included
information on a study on pre-visit orientations.  As I remember it
(forgive me for any inaccuracies) they compared school group visits with no
pre-visit orientation and those with 1) a content-based (learning about the
animals, etc.), 2) a skill based (how to observe, compare, etc.), and 3) a
logistics based (where the bathrooms were, when they'd get to go to the
store and to the 'coolest' exhibitions, etc.) pre-visit orientations.  The
latter group, those who weren't distracted with worries about having enough
time in the store or wondering when they'd get to the star attraction,
apparently were the most attentive during the visit and (as I recall)
learned the most.

Any corrections to the above recollection are most welcome.

>I and a colleague are interested in teacher needs and expectations when
>planning class trips to museums.  Does anyone have information about recent
>evaluations completed on this topic?  We are specifically interested in what
>teachers look for when planning the trip, and what they will expect from the
>experience, for example: curriculum connections.  What are the best materials
>museums can provide for teacher use?  And in what form are they best provided
>-- via the web, resource kits, activities, etc.?
>
>I am seeking recent evaluations and information on this topic.  I thank you
>all for your assistance in advance.
>
>Sheri Levinsky
>Museum Educator
>Independent Researcher

J. R. Grønborg, Exhibit Developer
Chicago Academy of Sciences, The Nature Museum

Telephone: 773-549-0606 x.3023  E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
*Opinions expressed are my own and may not necessarily be that of my employer.