From:
John Vallerga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:01:52 -0800
Hello Museum-Lers,

The Turlock City Arts Commission is opening an exhibition space in the
general public section of our recently remodeled city hall. The space is
designed to accommodate two-dimensional art or wall mounted artifacts.
I'm asking for advice regarding successes and failures from those who
have had prior experience with same.

The assistant city manager is looking to write policy regarding:
1) the use of such a space
2) security
3) administration
4) insurance

Policy for the first three items shouldn't be too difficult to hammer
out. However, I'm not familiar with what current practices are being
used to insure works of art in public places. The city and our insurers
are inclined to have artists sign waivers releasing the city from
liability in the event of damage, theft, etc.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John Vallerga
Gallery Committee
Turlock City Arts Commission