From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:38:38 -0700
On Sunday, a piece of old Florida died after 67 years.
 This week, due to some letter-writing efforts and
pressure on the governor, as befits the Easter week,
it appears it might resurrect, but your help is needed
to keep the pressure on and see that the park is saved
from the bulldozers and not turned into some land
development nightmare.

Opened in 1936, Cypress Gardens in Winter Park, though
operated commercially, had much that bears preserving.
 For one thing, it is the home to over 8,000 species
of plants from 90 countries.  In an era where people's
idea of recreation is having their senses zapped
electronically, Cypress Gardens served as a refuge
from the techno insanity and a place of comfort to
many.

As I indicated, the park was operated commercially,
but there was so much more.  My personal favorite is a
swimming pool, in the shape of the state of Florida,
that was used in an Esther Williams movie.  I loved
the flower gardens but there were some incredibly
impressive ancient trees that deserve to be saved for
our children's children and their children's children.

There was a wonderful museum on the property that told
of the Gardens history, especially in its heyday, and
you could feel the history when you watched the water
ski shows, akin to something you would find on old
post cards.  The canals were being restored when I
visited, and I'm told they were absolutely wonderful.

I loved the Scarlett O'Hara building.  A whole
shop/museum filled with Gone with the Wind
memorabilia.  Just two days before it was announced
the park would be closing, I had talked to my guy
about spending time together there toward Christmas
because I was told they decorated the park in a
wonderful fashion.  The kid in me absolutely adored
the antiquated children's rides.  The tour of the lake
in the old paddlewheel was also a respite in the
middle of today's hubbub.

I am asking those of you who have been there or who
would like it to still be there so that you could
visit and enjoy its wonder to please write to Jeb Bush
(see the letter at the bottom of my note from the
woman spearheading the effort, Ms. Posey, for address
information).  Among the thousands of you on the
museums list, I'm hoping many will heed the call to
save this treasured piece of history.

If you read none of the other links below, at least
read the first one.  It tells the personal stories of
those whose lives were significantly touched by this
remarkable place.

http://www.polkonline.com/stories/041203/loc_future.shtml

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Avis=LL&Dato=20030413&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=304130323&Ref=AR

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=LL&Date=20030416&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=304160404&Ref=AR&Profile=1004

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2003/04/14/daily20.html

http://www.wmbb.com/frontpage/MGB9J6CALED.html

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Local/areaAREA3041603.htm

Cypress Gardens is a Florida treasure that has touched
millions of lives for 67 years.  And once it is gone,
it is GONE!  Please take the time to e-mail or call
Governor Jeb Bush and/or our State Legislators.  Ask
them to allow  the state of Florida to buy Cypress
Gardens and keep it open as a State Park.  We need
this wholesome beautiful treasure for our future
generations.

E-mail Governor Jeb Bush at: (He reads them all!!!)
[log in to unmask];  [log in to unmask];
Governor Bush's telephone numbe is:  850-488-4441

The website with addresses and telephone numbers for
our Representatives and State Senators is
www.myfloridahouse.com.

Please take the time today to write or call them.
They have a formula saying every e-mail or call
represents the opinion of 200 voters...and
they want to be returned to office! Bombard them with
e-mails!!! THEY WILL LISTEN!!!

Ask them to make Cypress Gardens a State Park and
especially share with them your personal stories.   We
desperately need to have something that is wholesome,
beautiful, and educational for our children and
grandchildren.  Thank you from the bottom of my
heart!!!

Burma Davis Posey
Florida Arts Council 1997-2001

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414