From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:36:09 -0400
Greetings MUSEUM-L recipients,

BackStory With the American History Guys, a new call-in show for public
radio that explores the intersection of America's past with its present,
is currently looking for callers for an upcoming episode that may be of
interest to you or your patrons:

Early and Often: The History of American Voting

Although the memory of hanging chads still clouds the electoral mood,
American elections have come a long way. Before the early 20th Century
adoption of the "Australian," or bi-party secret ballot, voting was not
a private matter, and often involved extortion and large quantities of
alcohol. "Stuffer's ballot boxes" with false bottoms, and ballots with
misleading headings, tiny print and a cut-and-paste option helped secure
office for the sneakiest candidates. But how effective is our current
system?  How many of history's elections have been stolen?  And why did
America's founders opt out of direct Democracy (whose idea was the
Electoral College?)

BackStory is hosted by three renowned and friendly historians, Ed Ayers,
Peter Onuf, and Brian Balogh. Being a caller only takes a few minutes
and involves posing a question or making a comment to the hosts and then
sticking around for the conversation that follows. If you are
interested, please email me ASAP ([log in to unmask]) for details. We
are holding our first recording session this coming Wednesday, 9/10.

To get a feel for the show, you can listen to episodes online at
www.backstoryradio.org (we also have a podcast).

Please feel free to forward this to anyone who may be interested.

Thank you,

Catherine Moore
Research Assistant
BackStory With the American History Guys
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities Radio
145 Ednam Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-924-4403
www.backstoryradio.org