From:
Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:38:32 -0400
Kirsten, is this an activity that the parents will do with their children, or are they leaving them in your care?

How many children do you anticipate you can accommodate for each session?  What are your expenses - both materials and staff?

While there may not be another house museum in your area, I think its also important to consider what parents pay for their kids to go to a movie, go to a children's entertainment restaurant (like Chuckie Cheese) or to play miniature golf.

We charge $5 per child only when it is a defined group - a class or a camp - and I know there will be at least $100 coming in.  For non reservation events, we charge $7 or $8 - but put a cap on it with a family charge of $12.  That is for an event with no craft activity, but does include complimentary popcorn.

It's a delicate balance to attract an audience (especially if this is a new thing) and not break your budget doing it.

Cindy Boyer
Director of Museums and Education
The Landmark Society of Western New York
133 S. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester NY  14608
(585) 546-7029 ext. 12
Fax:  (585) 546-4788

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org
Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog
Facebook / MySpace