Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:56:04 +0100
On Friday lunchtime the vast majority of British people held a three minute
vigil of silence in sympathy with the victims of Tuesday's atrocities.
Yesterday I attended a football match where the same was observed and
instead of the normal rock music and banalities came classical and
reflection. Flags fly at half mast, church bells, ring and prayer services
held, in churches, synagogues, mosques and all other faiths over here. We
feel your pain too. What more can we do, what more can we say?

However I feel very disappointed by some of the postings on this thread. I
can understand the need for solidarity and bonding in the face of
unannounced threat and shock, but there can be a fine line between
patriotism and 'jingoism'. Europe has a emotional tie here also. Hundreds if
not thousands of British and other Foreign Nationals have died in the ruins
of the WTC and although this may be the first and most horrifying act of
international terrorism in the US, many people in many countries for far too
long have suffered the same. I once missed an IRA bomb blast by 5 minutes
and we have had 2 terror alerts in my time at this museum.

We often have the feeling over this side of the pond that Americans are only
interested in events which directly concern them and give credit to their
own. Millions of people had already died before America entered the two
World Wars this century. So what I and I guess Ms Svensson ask is that you
show a wider perspective on tragedy and think before you post misleading
rhetoric. America be proud, be strong, be brave and yes be great, but above
all be aware and be humble that you are not alone.

Regards

Paul Connell
Royal Logistic Corps Museum,
Camberley