From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:36:27 -0600
Georgia -

     You will probably want to touch on the matter of furnishing plans in
your thesis; in fact, it might be central to your thesis, since furnishing
plans serve historic houses as their collection planning guides. The best
book on furnishing plans is still William Seale's _Recreating the Historic
House Interior_, published by the Aerican Association for State and Local
History in 1979. There is also a good essay on furnishing plans by Bradley
Brooks in Jessica Foy Donnelly's _Interpreting Historic House Museums_ (Alta
Mira Press, 2002). It might be interesting to look at the different types of
evidence used by different types of historic houses for their furnishing
plans - estate inventories, photographs and visual images, oral histories,
letters and diaries, court testimony, etc.

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis, Texas