From:
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:01:48 -0700
Regarding Miguel's new topic about diversifying collections-- I'd like to
hear about collections and exhibitions that are not solely art as well.
Contemporary collecting issues dealing with diversifying collections to
reflect those populations (ethnicity, gender, age, economic) that have not
historically been included in our collections and interpretation.

I know the National Museum of American History has made efforts to expand
it's collections and exhibitions to address this problem.  Several recent
(last decade) "permanent" exhibitions that do this are: Field to Factory
(African American), an exhibit about Japanese internment years (sorry,
can't remember the name), and American Encounters (Hispanic and Native
Americans in NM).

Also, the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe has many fine
multicultural exhibitions and collections, which include a permanent
exhibtion, Familia y Fe/Family and Faith about Hispanic NM and they have a
wonderful changing gallery where I have seen exhibitions on Turkish
culture and currently on recycled art from all over the world.

Actually, in NM, it is interesting.  While exhibitions and collections
represent the NM "native" Hispanic culture and the diverse Native American
cutlures within the state, they do not to tend to reflect the story of all
the Hispanic communities here (Mexican, Cuban and others who also live
here) or the Asian community.  The Albuquerque Museum does have a small
exhibit on the African American experience in NM. The art museums show
mainly Native American art and some Hispanic artists, and of course the
Georgia O'Keeffe crowd (note: new GO museum to open in Santa Fe this
summer). There are many historic site type museums that also tell about
the early Spanish colonists and Native American experiences here. The
problem in NM is to broaden people's views of the multicultural
communities that exist here and that it is okay to be a Hispanic (or
other) whose roots in this state aren't 500 years old.

Lisa Falk