From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 18:28:29 -0400
> I really recently heard mention of an article that appeared in the New York
> Times  discussing museums and their expanded efforts in the retail sector,

The piece was in this past Sunday's paper (Oct. 5); it was the lead story
(with gigantic picture) on page one of the Arts & Leisure section.  The
headline was "Glory Days for the Art Museum in America."  In general it
was quite a positive piece by a sympathetic and experienced reporter
(Judith Dobrzynski) though some people are uncomfortable with the rosy
picture, others with the focus on marketing, etc., others with the
perennial Times habit of treating the New York museum scene as the norm.

True story:  several months ago a Times reporter called to ask for
information on a story she was writing.  She had spoken with the Met and
the National Gallery.  I recommended that she speak to smaller
institutions.  "I have spoken with smaller museums already," she said.
"I just talked to the Whitney."

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs