From:
Gordon McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:27:22 -0500
MDA is pleased to announce the addition of a new section to the Collections
Link website, the primary advice and information resource for collections
managers in the UK.

The Standards for Exchanging Exhibitions section is the first part of the
Organise Displays and Exhibitions component. It has been developed for
Collections Link by the Touring Exhibitions Group (TEG) having originally been
commissioned by MLA as part of their programme to revise and update the
Standards in the Museum Care of Collections series.

It is a full revision of the 1995 publication 'Standards for Touring Exhibitions,'
which is now presented as a series of interactive pages aimed at the key
players in any exhibition exchange - the owner, the organiser and the venue.
It is supported by comprehensive guidelines and notes, and has links to the
TEG Handbook.

Sarah Champion, TEG Chair and CEO of the Chinese Arts Centre in
Manchester, commented, 'The Touring Exhibitions Group very much welcomes
the publication of the updated Standards for Exchanging Exhibitions under the
Collections Link banner. Ten years ago, at the time that we were editing our
first Manual of Good Practice, we worked closely with the Museums and
Galleries Commission on the original Standards for Travelling Exhibitions. When
we revised the Manual into the new online Handbook, we jumped at the
chance of continuing this close relationship with an input into the revised
Standard. We look forward to working with MDA on the further development of
Collections Link.'

The publication of the Standards has already been welcomed by collections
practitioners. Rachael Rogers, Curator at Abergavenny Museum
commented, 'This is a wonderful resource. The system of easy to digest
information, followed by more detailed guidance makes finding out about issues
affecting our museum quick and straightforward. The Standards offer really
useful advice and the way they are laid out according to organiser, lender and
venue means that you can dip in and out of them to find very specific
information.'

Access the Organise Exhibitions section of the Collections Link website at:

http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/organise_exhibitions

 Gordon McKenna  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
 MDA
 The Spectrum Building,
 The Michael Young Centre,
 Purbeck Road
 Cambridge CB2 2PD, UK

 Tel:    +44 1223 415760
 Fax:    +44 1223 415960

Setting the standard for managing collections information