From:
"A.Ferszt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:48:29 -0700
Wendy Ong wrote:

> Hi list
> I am reading many mails about education and generally museum jobs being
> lowly paid jobs, new graduates surviving on salaries which seem like
> stipends, etc, etc...
>
> I am curious to know, if this is a predominately US thing. ie. is it the
> same for museums in Europe, Asia, New Zealand, Australia?
>
> thanks!

Absolutely! I now work in a museum, earn less than I did five years ago
when I worked in a lab, am doing the work of two people for two-thirds
the salary of my predecessor (who is on maternity leave). Why??? you may
ask...because I normally work as a freelance and it is nice to have a
predictable income for a while. Our museum is a non-profit organisation
whose grants etc have been cut the same as everyone else's.

The other big reason I'm here for such a low salary is that I really
like working for a museum. When I get fed up with things (about every
other day), I go across to the Museum and play in a gallery. It's also
great fun watching the children in the interactive galleries.