From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:11:14 -0500
Hailee:

In fact, quite the reverse.  The Museum is a non-profit entity whose
exhibition schedule should *not* be influenced by the potential for
sales.  Our Board decided some years ago that we would not take a
percentage or any kickback from artists who sell works while they are on
exhibit here.  The slippery slope argument says that eventually your
exhibition schedule will be full of Norman Rockwell lithographs and
whichever local painter is the current decorator favorite, not because
of their quality but because of their profit potential.   This serves
only the bottom line, and not the educational mission of an art museum.

I'm sure there is something more official on this topic at the AAM
website on curatorial ethics, but that's my knee-jerk response.

Jill R. Chancey, PhD

Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108