From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 20:50:50 +0200
Robert, you are right! BUT: there are more ways to skin a cat! There are
always more than two alternatives etc.
The question, we were confronted with, was: should we (museum) charge the
full costs (manpower, preservation costs, activity to get objects and
pictures etc.) for minor services like the private sector (gardening) is
doing, even "triple" the prize as was stated or should we refrain from it.
If, why?
My answer: If a museum gets part of its money from the public via taxes,
then part of the costs are already covered. If a museum is strictly private,
it is morally entitled to get the complete costs. BUT: of course, it is also
a market game: too high the price, too few the publications, hence too few
distribution of cultural knowledge.
BUT: thanks you for all the thoughts - I ( and I hope also others) learn a
lot from diverse and different point of views.
Peter, the Rebernik