From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 11:06:56 EST
Three thoughts come to mind:

1.  These are obviously vivid experiences; most museum visits aren't.

2.  These places somehow help people deal with -- come to terms with? --
what they fear and dread, which strikes me as not sick but healthy.

3.  A psychiatrist friend once said to me, when a human
behavioral phenomenon is so widespread as to be all but universal -- we
were talking about the dinosaur craze of late -- it doesn't make sense
to try to explain it; it's simply that a lot of people are interested in
the same thing.