From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:51:16 -0500
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>We have a dozen or so individuals who donated money (some a few hundred
>dollars, one gift around $2000) for a specific project

Why not ask them first? Only if they raise the question should you
say you'll take on the job of calling IRS.  Pragmatically, these are
small enough gifts that the donors are very likely to agree to your
scheme of applying it to other projects--if only because dealing with
IRS  or their own tax accountants will mean stress, time, and bother
while  helping an institution that honors its obligations should be a
continuing pleasure!

You might ask if they have a preference about where to apply the
donation (set up a special-projects fund, so they get credited on
everything the fund does) . And find a special way to thank  them
(back-room tour of the museum?)

Karen
--
Karen Reeds, Ph.D.
Lecturer, History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania