From:
Thomas Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 20:36:51 -0600
>They need volunteers, but they don't need people who need to be coddled
>and babied along.  They need self-starters who will sieze the
>initiative to do what needs to be done.  If they need people to move
>stuff, you show up.  If they need people on committees, you volunteer.
>And you don't do these things because you expect to be thanked--you do
>them because they'll help your museum.
>
>--
>Nancy J. Gill ([log in to unmask])

I just wanted to applaud all the very specific things that Nancy put forth.
Volunteers can be the mainstay of a good museum program, or they can suck
up all your time and energy in an adult version of babysitting. (I'm still
learning how to avoid the latter.)

Exhibits Director
Nevada State Museum & Historical Society
700 Twin Lakes Drive, Las Vegas NV 89107
702-486-5205