From:
Rubideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:31:14 -0400
Below and marked with ">" is a message I posted recently. I asked for a
vote. The result is posted just below old message.

>We are working on a series of exhibits funded by the National Science
>Foundation. They series of called "Mathmagical Toys" and each is intended
>to connect a toy with one or more mathematical ideas.

>We've engineered a soap bubble machine that makes a stream of 1' bubbles
>at about 2 second intervals. We are going to let them drop about 13 feet
>into a very large circular catch tray. Visitors can try to pop or deform
>the bubbles with two air vortex guns.

>We interpret the bubbles mainly as examples of minimal surfaces. We also
>mention interference effects and vortexes.

>This exhibit is the fourth in a series. Each exhibit unit has a subtitle
>and a title, with the title being either a toy or suggestive of a
possible
>toy or suggestive of a place that kids associate with play. The subtitle
>echoes that and emphasizes the main math point. The subtitle is set:
"Soap
>Bubble Geometry". The contenders for the main title are below. Please
pick
>one and reply or e-mail me. We're in a rush, as ever, since the title we
>had chosen was booed down by an angry mob.

>Bubble Mania, The Bubble Factory,The Bubble Zone, Bubble Party, Bubble
>Invaders, The Bubble-ator or Bubblator, Bubble Blaster, Bubblemaker, or
>bub-bub-Bubblemaker, Bubblemath, The Mathtub

Thanks for helping. Response was quick, clear and worth the effort. The
winner and close runner-ups were, in this order:

1     The Mathtub
2     Bubblemaker
3     Bubble Factory

Interesting NEGATIVE comments:
Four people had strong reactions against Mathtub ("turn-off")
One person thought Bub-bub-bubblemaker would humiliate stutterers.

Thanks again, all who answered.